My current approach, it changes over my career time, is quite simple:
1. Work in the company that pushes new tech.
2. Talk with other engineers :D, get few contact with people working in cutting edge companies with a lot of hands-on experience.
3. Go to meetups, present what you have done or what you are doing
4. Forge your experience into Opensource [WIP]
- https://aphyr.com – serious work on distributed systems
- https://www.oreilly.com/feed/four-short-links – random interesting staff
- lobste.rs / hackernews.com – the time eaters, often filled with click-bails, use with caution
- Hung Lee’s – http://www.recruitingbrainfood.com
Caveat: If you have already few years of experience, start fighting your following activities, you have limited time, you follow or lead.